Are you interested in the benefits of aromatherapy but not sure where to start? An essential oil diffuser is an excellent option! However, with so many types available, it can be overwhelming.
That's why we've created the ultimate guide on how to use an essential oil diffuser. It covers everything from the basics to advanced techniques, so you can create a peaceful and fragrant environment in not time. Let’s dive right into it!
What Does a Diffuser Do?
If you're new to the world of aromatherapy, you might be wondering what an essential oil diffuser actually does. In other words, a diffuser is a device that disperses essential oils into the air, creating a fragrant and therapeutic atmosphere. There are many different types of diffusers available, and each has its own unique benefits.
However, no matter which type you choose, knowing how to use an essential oil diffuser properly is key to enjoying its full potential. That's precisely what we're here for! So, make sure to stick to the end of the article to discover it!
What Are the Perks of Using the Essential Oil Diffuser?
Now that you know the purpose of essential oil, you might want to hear about some top benefits of using it. Here are some top benefits of using an essential oil diffuser.
- Creates a Soothing Atmosphere: Essential oils have been used for centuries to reduce stress and promote relaxation. A diffuser helps to disperse these oils into the air, which creates a peaceful and calming environment in your home.
- Boosts Mood And Energy: For those who may not know, essential oils claim to have mood-boosting and energizing properties. For example, lavender and peppermint can help reduce anxiety and promote mental clarity.
- Relieves Respiratory Issues: Due to current pollution, we all are prone to have minor respiratory issues. However, by diffusing essential oils like eucalyptus or peppermint can help open up your airways and relieve congestion caused by allergies, colds, or other respiratory issues.
- Improves Air Quality: Essential oils are said to have natural antimicrobial properties that can purify the air in your space. Diffusing oils like tea tree or eucalyptus can help eliminate airborne bacteria and other harmful particles from the air you breathe.
- Enhances Sleep Quality: Essential oils, like lavender or chamomile, are known for their soothing and calming properties. Diffusing these oils in your bedroom can help promote a restful and peaceful night's sleep.
Overall, these numerous benefits of essential oil diffusers can assure you that having an oil diffuser is a must-have. By reading these, you may have a clear-cut idea of what this product holds for you!
How to Use an Essential Oil Diffuser?
Are you curious about how to use an essential oil diffuser but not sure where to start? Here are the ways of using the four different types of essential oil diffusers.
How to Use an Electric Diffuser?
Using a nebulizing/electric diffuser is super easy and straightforward. Here's how to use an essential oil nebulizing diffuser:
- Remove the glass top and fill the reservoir with essential oils.
- Reattach the glass top and connect the diffuser to a power source.
- Adjust the intensity of the diffuser as desired.
Note: You can follow the same steps to use ultrasonic diffusers.
How to use a Candle Diffuser?
A candle diffuser is a popular type of heat-driven diffuser. Here's how to use an essential oil candle diffuser:
- Fill the top dish with water and add a few drops of essential oil.
- Light the candle underneath the dish.
- The heat from the candle will warm the oil and will unleash the fragrance into the air.
- Also, don’t forget to remember to extinguish the candle when you're done using the diffuser.
The safe-to-use candle warmer lamp will bring a European touch to your interior. No more candle flames and fumes. It gives an industrial chic look. The light is just right to create a soothing atmosphere.
⭐Sophisticated Pantheon dome design;
⭐Adjustable heat and light for different wax;
⭐Convenient 2h/4h/8h timer function;
⭐Safe to use;
⭐Fits most jar candles.
How to Use a Reed Diffuser (Evaporative diffuser)?
Reed diffuser is also another popular type of essential oil diffuser. Here's how to use an essential oil reed diffuser:
- Remove the cap from the bottle and insert the reeds.
- Wait for a few hours for the reeds to absorb the essential oil.
- Flip the reeds to expose the saturated ends, and place the diffuser wherever you want.
- The reeds will release the fragrance into the air over time.
- Also, don’t forget to flip the reeds every few days to keep the scent fresh.
It's the first dragonfly-structured essential oil diffuser in the world. Its design is unique with so much fun to play!
⭐Incredible dragonfly that keeps its balance everywhere;
⭐Lovely playmate and functional diffuser;
⭐Natural wood aroma that can relieve stress;
The scented oil diffuser will offer you a car environment of absolute bliss. It gives a car an exquisite and classy smell. The well-made case adds decoration as well.
⭐Entry lux fragrance for Model 3/Y;
⭐Stylish car décor piece;
⭐Specially formulated aromas;
⭐Long-lasting and eco-friendly refill tablets.
How to Choose Essential Oil Diffuser?
When it comes to choosing an essential oil diffuser, there are four common types to choose from nebulizing, ultrasonic, heat, and evaporative diffusers. Note that each type has its own merits and demerits.
The Nebulizing diffuser offers the strongest and most concentrated scent, while ultrasonic diffusers are ideal for larger spaces. On the other hand, heat diffusers are easy to use but may not be as effective. The evaporative diffusers are affordable but may not release fragrance evenly.
So, be sure to consider your preferences and needs before choosing the best type of diffuser for you.
How to Clean an Essential Oil Diffuser?
All types of fragrance diffusers, including nebulizing, ultrasonic, heat, and evaporative diffusers, should be cleaned regularly to maintain their effectiveness and prevent any buildup or residue. Here’s how to do it!
- Empty the diffuser and pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol into the glass reservoir.
- Run the diffuser for 5-10 minutes to allow the alcohol to clean the internal components.
- Rinse the glass reservoir with water and allow it to dry before use.
- Start by filling the diffuser with water and adding a small dish soap.
- Run the diffuser for 5-10 minutes to allow the cleaning solution to circulate.
- Drain the diffuser and wipe it down with a soft cloth.
- Unplug the diffuser and allow it to cool completely.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe away any residue or buildup.
- For more stubborn buildup, mix equal amounts of vinegar and water and wipe down the diffuser with a soft cloth.
- Empty the diffuser and wipe it down with a soft, damp cloth.
- Allow the diffuser to air dry completely before using it again.
FAQs about essential oil diffuser
How to choose essential oil?
1. Define what problem you want the oil to solve, whether it is for skin care, mood improvement, or for massage
- If you want to improve dull skin tone, you can choose essential oils such as carrot seed, geranium, neroli, and jasmine.
- If you want to relax and get in the mood, you can choose essential oils such as geranium, bergamot, sweet orange, and lavender.
- If you want to soothe your muscles you can choose essential oils such as ginger, rosehip, peppermint, and basil.
2. Choose essential oils according to your skin type and preferences. Different essential oils have different effects and are used in different ways and concentrations.
3. Choose essential oils by the quality of the oil. Essential oils of different qualities can vary greatly in their effectiveness and feel. It is usually judged by the price, packaging, taste, and texture of the essential oil.
But this part is too specialized, so if you really don't understand it, you can consult a professional before making your choice.
What are the best smelling essential oils to use?
The truth is that there is no standard answer to this question and everyone will have their own preference for scent. But there do exist some widely recognized good-smelling essential oils, and they are mostly citrus, floral, and herbal oils.
- Citrus oils: Citrus oils give off a fresh, fruity, and bright scent. They smell clean and have a sweet aroma; most people love the scent of citrus essential oils. Common citrus essential oils include lemon, sweet orange, bergamot, grapefruit, red tangerine, green tangerine, and bitter orange.
- Floral essential oils: Floral essential oils are a richly scented liquid extracted from flowers and are one of the most popular essential oils. Common floral essential oils are lavender, rose, jasmine, etc.
- Vanilla essential oils: Vanilla essential oils are oily liquids with an aroma extracted from the vanilla plant. Common herb essential oils are happy sage essential oil, rosemary essential oil, basil essential oil, etc.
How many drops of essential oil do you put in a diffuser?
Most experts recommend using 3-5 drops of essential oil per 100ml of water. If you are going to use essential oils in water, such as in a bath, spray, or diffuser, the number of essential oils should be between 1-8 drops at a time, and you can adjust the number of essential oils according to your preference for fragrance concentration.
Also, please avoid using essential oils with pregnant women, children, or pets. If you experience an adverse reaction after using essential oils, stop using them immediately.
How long do you leave essential oils in a diffuser?
How long to leave the essential oils in the diffuser depends on the type of diffuser and the evaporation rate of the essential oils.
- If you use a heated diffuser such as an aromatherapy machine or aromatherapy oven, you can adjust the time according to the capacity of the diffuser and the number of essential oil drops, usually between 15 minutes and 1 hour to avoid dry burning after the water evaporates.
- If you use a diffuser such as a siphon-type diffuser, you can adjust the time according to the power of the diffuser and the concentration of essential oils, generally between 10 minutes to 30 minutes, to avoid the consumption of essential oils too fast.
- If you use a natural volatile diffuser such as a diffuser stone, you can adjust the time according to the size of the diffuser stone and the number of essential oil drops, generally between 2 weeks to 1 month, after the aroma of the essential oil evaporates clean, you can re-drop the essential oil.
Summing up, we hope that our complete guide on how to use an essential oil diffuser helped you utilize your essential oil diffuser. Moreover, you can use the cleaning guides to maintain the essential oil diffuser.